Share This Page:

Body Piercing question.

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Roki

Body Piercing question.

Post by Roki »

Howdy.. quick question, and rather straight forward :]

When i first started my application for the RAF reg, i had to remove over 20 piercings [most on my face], which is by far understandable.. But the thought of piercings never really went away..

Im curious, after the 29[?] weeks of training, is it possible to get non visible piercings? or is that still strictly prohibited?

Im talking of nipple/genital/surface piercings [surface being collarbone and the such].

Pretty sure it wouldn't make a difference when it comes to gender.. but im male just incase it does :]

Thanks in advance.
sportbilly42

Re: Body Piercing question.

Post by sportbilly42 »

Roki wrote:............ i had to remove over 20 piercings [most on my face].............

Im curious.......

Im talking of nipple/genital/surface piercings [surface being collarbone and the such.....
I have to agree with the 'curious' bit.... :o
While this sort of shit may come in handy when you're looking for somewhere safe to hang your keys..........
..........piercings in the military probably comes under a general heading of 'time and a place'.

Hidden piercings may go down a treat at your local gay bar, but I would suggest you'd get very little sympathy from the rest of the squad if you found your Prince Albert was giving you gyp mid-CFT, or you yanked one of your nipple rings out on the assault course. The Health and Safety Gestapo will without doubt have added a statement advising what the rules are for piercings when off and on duty.
Roki

Post by Roki »

alright, cheers :]
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

There are some African tribes who still allow warriors piercings. You can join them I bet.

Honestly do you think a conservative force that represents your Kingdom would want you projecting an image of a punk rocker with earings?

Nipple rings can be pulled out and caught on things and seen through a shirt. The dick bar though, seen people with it during physicals. No one will report it more than likely. But mutilating your body is a sign of serious psychological problems. It isn't normal to scrawl ink needles on your body, file teeth to points and shove steel though your skin you know? Well it wasn't back in my day.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Roki

Post by Roki »

Each to there own in regards to tattoo's/piercings.. to some its not right, to others.. its just the normal now a days, ya'know? times change..

Just because i ask about piercings/have had several in the past, doesnt mean i see it as a way as mutilating my body - just see it as another way of art.. much like tattoo's [which is also much more accepted now, just as body piercings have become.]

Regarding the nipple "rings", i was actually considering barbells again - which i've had in the past. which are alot harder to get caught on things, as all that shows from the piercing are balls from either side of the nipple - which - depending on the gauge are very hard to get a finger grip on, let alone caught.

And regards the PA piercing, to the first poster - Aye, couldnt agree more, having a prince albert.. or any piercing in the area can turn bad real fast if under the wrong conditions - as it does require the area to be kept clean basically all the time.. guess i didn't really think that one through to well.

Although the surface piercings are much alike the nipple ones - that being they would be hard to get caught on stuff - as only two small ball's would be showing on either side.

And yea - Whitey - understood that the forces wouldnt exactly praise an image of a punk rocker, thats why i pointed out that the piercings would be "hidden", and alas wouldnt be visable when on duty.

Point in this post wast meant for people saying how they agree/disagree with body modification, but more the RAF's view on it in general :o

[ps] i do agree with the fileing of the teeth btw whitey, some of the stuff is pretty messed up... met someone once at a club that had there tongue split [abit like a snake tongue]... was rather nasty looking :s

But once again - each to there own i guess :)
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I hate to reply, but I think you know the military wouldn't approve. If you want to hide a ring or bar then what can they do if they can't see it.

Times do not change. Whoever said that was full of shit. It is so cliche.

Man and civilizations however do degenerate and we see the signs. We had a guy named Hanna who decided he'd fancy orange hair, he was ran out of the USMC.

Towards the end I fancied not shaving or cutting my hair, shining boots or wearing field uniforms that still had pigment. I was cut a lot of slack towards the end. I'd payed my dues, but I had my ass chewed regularly over it my last few months. But I had reason for rebellion, what is yours?
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I wouldn't advise anything on the collarbone, bearing in mind that you will have to carry webbing etc. and it would probably be quite painful.

I had to take the bar out of my bellybutton on basic training, and have never got round to putting it back in.
If you want to decorate your body I would stick to tattoos.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Roki

Post by Roki »

Whitey - aye, what could they do regarding hidden "jewelry", at first i assumed if they saw it during a medical you would be forced to take it out, or risk punishment. Shortly into this thread i learnt that members have the prince albert and dont get busted for it - so all in all, that answered that question.

Yes it does sound cliche when i say "times change", but they do - and thats just the way it works... from some point of views, it could be seen that man kind is degenerating, but to others it just opens new paths.

Regarding rebelling - maybe that started the whole fad several years back, but its more of a fasination now more than anything, and some sort of weird hobby which is pretty hard to explain to someone with closed eyes on the matter.

Hyperlithe - aye, your right regarding the collarbone - and it conflicting with the gear that would be held, i should have figured that much heh, but i was tired when posting to be honest :]

You might be right regarding just sticking with tattoo's, as they dont generaly conflict with anything - other than when its healing [which depending on ones self, doesnt usually take that long]

I was reading the only real other valid topic regarding this on google last night, and found that the tongue bar was a piercing that people managed to get away with, as it could be removed for several days on end and have no signs of closing up... [sadly, this piercing isnt for me >.<]

Just to quickly clarify whats happened so far, and please correct me if im wrong.

If i desired a piercing, that wasn't visible while in uniform - and that didn't conflict/cause issues while on active duty/tours. It would be possible get them done, and keep them.. is that correct?

Final question regarding the whole piercing side of things, what would happen in general if you we're caught with lets say a nipple piercing.. Assuming this piercing had never caused the member any issues in the past - and to date.. But a higher ranking member caught them with such object in there body?

[ps] there are ways to avoid getting piercings caught on objects such as the obstical course, plasters are a golden device :]

[pss] Thanks for the comments btw
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Out here in the sand, tats are not popular with the locals. Several of our chaps have had them removed or are in the process of having them removed.
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

I have seen a couple of guys with one earring In, not aloud to were them at work but do In there own time. When I was In training one of the corporals did have he's nob done (this was six years ago)
Before I joined up I also hat to remove some piercing, I did not give them a second thought I would certainly not have wanted them In when I was doing basic or now.