Share This Page:

Celebrity ex-Paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Boxingmad

Celebrity ex-Paras

Post by Boxingmad »

Just wondering if there are any celebrities that are ex Paras/Airborne Forces? See if these names jog your memories.

1. Billy Connolly (Comedian)

Apparently an ex 15 Para (TA) soldier during the 1960s

2. Michael Aspel (Broadcaster)

Was an Airborne soldier during National service

3. Mark Burnett (producer in USA of shows such as "Survivor" & "The Apprentice")

Was a 2 Para officer during the Falklands conflict

This is the funniest though:

4. Lewis Collins (70s/80s action star)

I heard that he was in the TA Paras (10 Para) and that he had a habit of walking round his local town wearing his beret/uniform

Crazy or what?

I personally don't believe it, but if anyone can shed light on it, that'd be great.

Any other celebrities?
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.

Post by Guest »

I knew about Billy Connolly being in TA Paras. Not sure about the others though.

What about Prince Charles? Does he count as being a celeb? He is Colonel in Chief of the Parachute Regiment.

James
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Fraid not. Members of the royal family don't count. neither do soldiers who have been on the telly. If that were the case, I'd include people like General Mike Jackson, who's obviously been on the telly and in the media generally quite a lot.
What I'm referring to are celebs mainly in the entertainment industry, an area where soldiers tend not to flourish. Sports, however, are totally different. The only ex Paras who have been successful in sports are boxers Richard Dunn (who fought Ali for the world heavyweight title), Carl Crook (British & Commonwealth lightweight champion) & new British welterweight titlist David Barnes. Howvere, as mentioned in another thread I started a while ago, it was revealed that Barnes hadn't even passed P Coy!

It'll be interesting to see if any other names from the showbiz end pop up.
theparamancan

Post by theparamancan »

Well if you take the Yanks into account you've got Jimmi Hendrix (101st Airborne!)

Somebody said Frank Carson (Comedian) was.
When Evil Strives To Overcome Good
And Firepower is Greater Than The Spoken Word.................................................

.....Then Death Rides A Winged Horse
CheesePossessed

Post by CheesePossessed »

Frank Carson served in Palestine in 45/46 and was shot through the chest for his troubles.

The actor Richard Todd, who played Maj Howard(Pegasus Bridge) in the film The Longest Day was an officer in 7th Battalion. Jumped in the eve of D-Day into Ranville and was one of the reinforcements who relieved the real Maj Howard at Peggy Bridge.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

CheesePossessed wrote:Frank Carson served in Palestine in 45/46 and was shot through the chest for his troubles.

The actor Richard Todd, who played Maj Howard(Pegasus Bridge) in the film The Longest Day was an officer in 7th Battalion. Jumped in the eve of D-Day into Ranville and was one of the reinforcements who relieved the real Maj Howard at Peggy Bridge.
Yes. I knew there was one I forgot. He also played Wing Commander Gibson in The Dambusters. Great actor.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Sir James Spicier MP and former Minister Of Defence
The former head of the Australian Staff College Colonel Richard Hennessey. The former head of the Canadian Staff College Lt/Colonel Gerry Taylor. All ex members of members of our old Company, and don't forget ME
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Tim Healy and Bernard Cribbens.

There have been a lot of former members of the RAMC who have made it big over the years an anyone guess who they are ?????
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
flo

Post by flo »

Billy Connelly was in the TA and quite often while on weekend exercise in Barry Buddon would come into Carnoustie and do stand up shows in the Stags Head pub, incidentaly he lost his virginity in Arbroath up Brechin Road - but that had nothing to do with me.!!!!

Im far too young. :D

What about Dennis lewis was she not Army.

John Morgan 'the Organ' :o Royal Marine turned stripper, model and tv presenter.
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

Speaking of ex marines how about Paddy Pantsdown?
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
mercury

Post by mercury »

Barry Budden

Now that was a shit hole :o
"certa cito"
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Paddy Doyle, he is in the Guinness Book of Records.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Enoch Powell former MP
flo

Post by flo »

mercury wrote:Barry Budden

Now that was a shit hole :o
You should see the place now, very plush but still cold enough to freeze the b*****cks of a brass monkey.

Lets face it they had to make it plush cause its next to CarSNOOTIE and thats where the nice girls come from. :D
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Apparently, according to a film website, Lewis Collins went for, and passed, TA SAS selection, but was denied a place in the actual unit because of the adverse publicity it would receive.

Hmm.....

I notice that lots of names are coming up, but not all are ex-Paras/Airborne. We all know that Paddy Pantsdown was ex Royal/SBS.

Think people, think!