Share This Page:

Fitness help!?!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
simon1994

Fitness help!?!

Post by simon1994 »

Hi, I go on jogs every morning and go to the gym once a day I try to push myself more and more each day but sometimes I find it hard. I'm just finding it hard to get this 2.4km in under 12 and a half minutes and the same in under ten minutes but I keep still finding it hard! Also I find it hard with the sit ups and press ups if anyone has any ideas on what they do/done I would be thankful. I am determined to be what I want and I would appreciate it very much, Thanks.
Jnr

Re: Fitness help!?!

Post by Jnr »

i'm in the same position as you accept i'm getting fit for the paras but try having a little look on youtube, search running speed drills. theres plenty of videos with some very good running tips which ive found quite helpful. also try some hill training as it helps build your legs up overall and can help add abit of pace.

With the calisthenics, it all comes down to practice. if your having real problems try doing loads of little sets through out the day (reps of 10 atleast) and keep building up till your doing the required amount per set.(not sure for marines but i think there 60+)

make sure you get enough sleep, and dont forget at least 1 complete rest day a week. it may feel as if your being lazy but the muscle is repaired and built during rest, not during the exercise

as for energy and motivation,my granddad(well into his 60s) starts his day with a a set of 5 reps of press ups, sit ups etc each day which helps get the blood pumping and increases your energy levels and if he can do that theres no reason you can't, and remember your end game. whenever i feel like calling it a quits for the day i just think about the beret, perhaps summon up a lil bit of anger and use that to propel myself.

and always remember, the training to be fit enough to start their training is the easy part, it gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets any better
The Paras or bust.......
simon1994

Post by simon1994 »

Thankyou. Much appreciated, hope all goes well for the paras! :)
Jnr

Post by Jnr »

cheers mate,same for u. and forgot to add join your local running club, they'll help you with training and form, and if nothing else then watching the little old dears zoom past will give you all the motivation you need :lol:
The Paras or bust.......
RyanH95

Post by RyanH95 »

i sugest making a rota mate, you need to do a lot of treadmill work, dont worry as much about outside running just yet. hop on treadmill speed 11.8 for first and 14.5 for second 9.51.

what i do is 6x800m sprints once a week 3 minute intervals 1 minutes rest, 10x600m hill sprints once a week. couple of 3 milers a week. t get better at running and endurance quick intense running at high speeds should improve your endurance mate.

try get them circuits in aswell keep your strength up too,but eat right eg healthy plenty of protein. make sure your an ideal weight for your hight too.

my circuits contain a lot of squats,burpees,jumping lunges,leg raise,pushups,pull ups etc.
I recently failed my pjft due to eating before test, i was only 1 minute away aswell, gutted me but i pushing myself hard now treadmill work, tabata sprints long cardio hill sessions. next time it cmes around imma smash it. make sure your ready when it comes too it, cus afco gets the stick when we fail. but wish you look mate in the future and hope you smash it. peace :)
simon1994

Post by simon1994 »

Thankyou for the advise :) I seem to be improving now but I still think I can do a little bit more every day so I will be doing. I have my interview this Thursday hopefully ill pass! Good luck with the PJFT :) Thanks!