Share This Page:

Post your 3 miler times

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

steady09

Shin splints are often caused by forward weighting of the body -
(in advance of the knees for example)

Try a more upright postion - try also to raise your hands palm upwards
straight out from the elbows for a while while you jog - this will often help
you to change your stance and weighting

Stay with it.....
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
speedy87

Post by speedy87 »

update 15.26 same track new trainers lol
BARB: 78
ADSC: PASSED (137 B grade)
PRAC: PASSED (A GRADE)
START DATE FOR PARA DEPOT 18/10/09
Feel the burn!!!!
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

some noticeably good times there speedy87! Please tell me you belong to an athletics club!!? I hope that you have good all round fitness too, as from my experience sometimes the whippets would really struggle on tabs or marches where your bogged down with kit! good effort though!
'Every man an Emperor'
speedy87

Post by speedy87 »

im not part of a athletics club. always like to be fit. going to para depot on 18th oct. ive been doing some tabbing for about 6 months now started off with a measly 15lbs and now i tab with 45lb and yes i wear good boots lol. trying to get a head start for para depot. and to be honest i enjoy training especially tabbing. its a good feeling to be able to keep on improving and interesting to find out what my limit is
Feel the burn!!!!
steady09

Post by steady09 »

wow that is fast speedy87 :o

pilgrim norway.. thanks for that, it's sorted itself out now i think, i recently ran my 3rd timed 3 miler in 19.40 and had no problems.

the forward weighting of the body, would this be more likely when running downhill? i ran a 6 mile run and there was a long sloping hill i ran down at a near sprint pace, it was from then that i felt my shins ache/hurt and thought this may of been the reason.. i'm not going to be sprinting down hills from now on anyway! :) thanks for the help
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

speedy87 wrote:update 15.26 same track new trainers lol
Just out of curiosity, what's your 1.5 mile time? Cause taking your pace for the 3 miles would give you a time of 7:30 min and I'm sure you'd be able to up the pace over the shorter distance so was just wondering exactly how fast you can run it.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Most often caused by running on asphalt/hard surface streets etc ....
Road running takes it's toll early in season.

"On running uphill the runner should shorten his already short stride"

When running downhill varying the length of stride helps - a few short
strides - a couple of longer etc .... weighting a little backover.

Old wisdom..... :wink:
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
eleven

Post by eleven »

just did a mile run on a treadmill got 20.7 at steady pace wasnt beasting myself
barb test-66 passed 27/7/2009
interview-done 11/8/2009
medical-in Progress failed
can re apply july 2011
speedy87

Post by speedy87 »

bored_stupid wrote:
speedy87 wrote:update 15.26 same track new trainers lol
Just out of curiosity, what's your 1.5 mile time? Cause taking your pace for the 3 miles would give you a time of 7:30 min and I'm sure you'd be able to up the pace over the shorter distance so was just wondering exactly how fast you can run it.
my pb is 7mins flat but i only run that sort of time if i train hard for a few weeks but not concentrating on my run time anymore im working on my alround fitness at the mo, upperbody work etc....
Feel the burn!!!!
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

eleven wrote:just did a mile run on a treadmill got 20.7 at steady pace wasnt beasting myself
surely you meant 3mile??
'Every man an Emperor'
eleven

Post by eleven »

yea sorry thats my 3 mile time 20mins 7 secs
barb test-66 passed 27/7/2009
interview-done 11/8/2009
medical-in Progress failed
can re apply july 2011
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

was gonna say! a very slug like performance over a mile at that pace/time :lol:
'Every man an Emperor'
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

speedy87 wrote:my pb is 7mins flat but i only run that sort of time if i train hard for a few weeks but not concentrating on my run time anymore im working on my alround fitness at the mo, upperbody work etc....
That's really impressive, hat's off to you!

Good luck with the training, the only thing I'd say is don't just train hard, train smart.

By that I mean make sure all your training is designed to minimize injuries, if you're feeling any niggles then don't train until they go, run mainly on soft ground, substitute swimming into your training in place of one of your runs etc... You already obviously have a very high level of fitness so all you need to do is keep yourself ticking over.

Your main goal should be to turn up at Depot well rested and healthy as all the fitness in the world won't do you any good if you turn up with niggling injuries through hard training. The chances of pickin up injuries during training is high (almost inevitable at some point really) so you want to make sure you keep your training as smart as possible to keep your body as fresh as possible as it's going to be put through hell for 28 weeks.
tomdoubleu

Post by tomdoubleu »

1st 1.5: 11:40
2nd 1.5: 10:20

So 22 mins :drinking: However im struggling on treadmill while i train for PJFT :cry:
Bees

Re: Post your 3 miler times

Post by Bees »

10:30 first half. 1min Recovery. 9:40 second half.