Share This Page:

Still Undecided - UOTC Some advice would be appreciated.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
lukeyluke

Post by lukeyluke »

This is just a thought and I might sound like I don't really know what I'm talking about but is it not possible to join the RMR as an Officer?

I know that with the TA this is possible. Maybe it would cover both angles?
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." - Julius Caesar

Recruit Training: 11th February, 2008
_chris

Post by _chris »

I too have heard many refer to it as a drinking club as well so am not sure what I'm going to do either. I'm in the same position as you (1 year behind though) in terms of deciding to join the UOTC or RMR, from some of my choices the RMR would be quite a drive away so I don't know what I shold do :-?. Obviously would like to be able to choose the closest but if one was prefered over another by serving then I'ld go there; and in the cities where theres both I'm at a total loss!
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Just a thought here, is there a chance that RMR may collide with your studies at university?
Where as, I'd guess, UOTC would fit around your studies because of the nature of it?
hogstable

My experience of both

Post by hogstable »

Having been privileged to have the experience of both I can vouch that they are completely different beasts. The OTCs are quite party orientated to be sure, I believe the word is social which is their major selling point, fun time in green. However there are some really excellent blokes there who are so keen, but there are some spanners too, not to mention many attractive young ladies as well. The best of the intake were as good as the blokes who got their green lids. There is, or was a week long commando forces acquaint with 29 Cdo, not as rugsy as the RMR but quickens the blood somewhat.

RMR, the most comprehensive reserve infantry training there is enough said, less spanners too but less ladies !! I know blokes who went through the RMR and ended up with regular RM commissions and lads from OTC who did the same.

In hindsight I would reccomend the OTC route as more interesting and then go RMR or regular, halfway house is to do the first year and then go across. There is enough time for the Corps but uni is a very limited opportunity.
Chas

Post by Chas »

On what criteria and assessment do you make your thought provoking
comment that some of the officer cadets were just as good as
persons who had already earned the coveted green beret ?
Some University OT units are excellent with other less so. Your post
is interesting and as you intimate RMR infantry training is superlative.
I went the RMFVR route prior to commission. Later I ascertained that I
had been pinged fairly early for promotion. Since my student years are
well over I believe that possibly it might be better to undertake varsity
training for perhaps a year and then transfer to the RMR.
Curent RM aspirant officers will be much better informed than I am ! :lol:
RMV202910 20/061956. City of London Unit. RMFVR now RMR !
931 Squad RM 1958- 2Lt.17/04/1959. Fantastic memories. :wink:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Ill post this here as someone else undecided aswell. By no means is this me trying to sell the OTC to you.

Hey mate yeah im in OTC and love it, people say its crap and only a drinking club, but they say that when they have never been in! It it what you make it.

For example in your first year you will do 7 or so feild exercises over weekends, and there wont be a drop of alchol there I can tell you that! First couple of weekends are an eye opener and by the 3rd weekend all of or most of the nobbers and people that are only in it for the drinking have left (well not left just dont turn up for weekends), so your left with only people who actaully want to do the green stuff.

After each drill night (once a week) you can go upto the bar for a meal and a few beers if you want. There are regular parties held by the OTC so thats probably where it gets the drinking club image from. But you dont have to go obvioulsy but they have so much funding its sometimes good to go because you get a pint for 80p!

With adventure training, were the envy of the whole of the british forces! As OTC gets so much funding they spend a lot on this. For example I can go skiing for 2 weeks for £200. I will be paid to sail around the world. I'm going parachuting next year for free. I'm going trekking in canada for a month next year. All of this helps towards your AIB and makes you look more impressive! You will never do that in the RMR as theres always someone else who needs it more than you.

You can also get attached to regular army units over your summer break, I was attached to the Argylls for two weeks (paid) and we were doing air assault tactics all the time, going up in hercules then bombarding out of them taking air feilds. It was one of the best things Iv ever done! And I can confidently tell you this, they werent far off the standard of OTC. Thats a regular British army unit.

With regards to how well they train you, if you attend regularly they will train you upto the standard of a British Army officer in three years. Next summer I'm hopefully going to RMAS for my three week territorial army commissioning course. This has no commitement attached to it so after uni you could have a TA commission and not have to join the TA. Just whack it at the bottom of your CV! Or for you (and me) this would be a huge advantage at AIB, showing that your already at an acceptable standard of fitness and inteligence.

I was the same as you, wanted to join RM as an officer at A levels but caught glandular fever off this dodgey Austrian bird whilst skiing with my school so was way to ill. So chose uni as well.

IMO I would say the OTC would be more benifical then the RMR at AIB IF your comitement is more than average and go on the hundreds of courses avalible to you that you would have to pay for else where. The RMR does show that you are upto a fitness standard yes, but you can prove this through the OTC, e.g. that 2 week air assault course I was on was very demanding. If I pass RMAS that is extreamly demanding.

Your only at Uni once so you should really take the OTC in your grasp and wring it from all its adventure training and courses you can go on. The RMR are great no doubt but the commitment is huge and can make your grades suffer. I'm planning on joining the RMR possibly in my final year (4 year course) that way I will have all the OTC experiences and almost the standard of a green beret! But then again its my final year so I'm not sure. I got years and years left to join due to them raising the age limit so I'm just enjoying my time at uni. That may sound lazy and very student like, but I know that after Uni im going to be in a job and working 5 days a week so you really have to appreciate it, as I said these chances dont come round a second time.

Best of luck and any more questions ask away.

Will
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

I did OTC for my first year completing MTQ1 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Its a great way to meet new people and a lot of new peope at that! Whilst soaking up the uni experience which is a must in your 1st year!!!
I then joined RMR at the start of my 2nd year, completing phase 1 course and doing some phase 2.

OTC is quite green, full of hot sexy ladies, stacked with booze and therefore lacks all the discipline of RMR. 3rd year OTC however, you could be a platoon commander completing MTQ3 and you are even encouraged to do a TA commission-so good leadership stuff.
RMR tests committment, fitness and is a great insight to those wanting to join as regular. Time in the RMR will make your mind up if full-time is for you. In my opinion someone joning RM regular from time in RMR will look good as he will be committed and dedicated and thats the kind of guy the Corps wants.

Look into RMR joining dates to give you an idea of when you could start- E.g start uni in september and do c@#t March (which is when OTC finishes for the year) Then join RMR in april/may if possible, whilst trying to pass some exams!

Best of luck- feel free to ask me questions

Ali
Chas

Post by Chas »

Will,
Possibly you wrote your cogent apologia for the OTC in haste.
Before you go to the RMAS and undertake essays improve your
spelling. :lol:
Two points and not a put down. When RM YOs' undertook joint
training exercises with Sandhurst they were nearly always superior.
Also RM officer training was in my day intellectually and physically
much more taxing. In no way can a TA commission equate to an RM
commission. However it will assist you if you wish to apply for an RMR
or regular commission. It is a benchmark and no more! :roll:
This is not bias I have been commissioned with both. However there is
one caveat which reads 'in my day.'
Good luck in all your endeavours.
Chas. :evil:
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Chas, your always going to have banter between the forces as to whos commission is better than whos! RM officers do a year of pure infantry tactics and the skills needed for an officer. Where as the Army does a year learning how to be an officer, some infantry skills, then a 14 week battle commander course. Not far off a standard for each other.

I never said a TA commission is the same as an RM commission, both is a queens commission its just who you are with that dictates how good you are. Anyway as I said, I’m only getting a TA commission to look good at an AIB if I ever do one.

Apologies for spelling.

Will
Chas

Post by Chas »

Will,

Just joshing over spelling. :lol:
Go for it. It will look damn good
and always stand you in good stead. :wink:
GaussianEliminator

Post by GaussianEliminator »

I've never experienced OTC training myself but, from what I've heard, it's a great organisation to obtain bags of leadership experience. However, if your just entering uni theres tons of other places where you can gain leadership experience and general life experience that will stand you in excellent stead for going for a POC and AIB after you graduate.

RMR training, on the other hand, will give you excellent experience of the corps. If your going into the first year of uni this would be an excellent time to give RMR a try. You could have your lid(depending on which unit you join) in around 1-2 years. Imagine rocking up onto a POC with your green beret from the RMR and whatever experience you can get from university. That would set you up quite nicely :lol:
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

As far as i'm aware, OTC is basically just a drinking club. The only benefits are that you get paid and you occassionally get to go and play army every other week. From my limited experience, the OTC type are the wealthy, committed christian, and conservative type with an unhealthy appetite for fancy dress on nights out. But maybe im wrong.
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

I'd say RMR mate, you'll learn leadership within your section, from how your section cpl's lead you and at company level how the troop boss's operate

You'll also gain oodles of experience of doing the job which is what it's all about

Best of luck :wink:
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

Basically in a nutshell
RMR if you really want the Corps!!
OTC if you're not sure if the forces is for you and want to learn a little bit about the forces

Also,
i got bored of OTC becasue it lacked challenge and was with people who didnt have my aspirations i.e Royal
RMR then gave me that challenge, whilst being with people who all shared my dreams

Randomly,
I knew one guy who was in 131 commando engineer squadron and OTC at the same time in his first year- Pretty gutsy/army barmy but potentially achievable.
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

With OTC theres core weekends you must attend, others are optional and no it shouldnt take up too much time as theres no in your own time phys to do.
Cricket wise-yeh go play for uni and maybe theres a cricket team in your OTC.
Doing OTC in your first year shouldnt infringe on leisure time- 1st year IS leisure time lol