Share This Page:

Major Ward

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Tab

Major Ward

Post by Tab »

Did any of you see that bit on the News about the Commando Major Jason Ward. He was killed during the first couple of hours of the conflict when the American Helicopter he was travelling on crashed. His partner had returned to Norway to be with her parents as she was expecting his first baby. Although she continually wrote him and e-mailed him she was not informed of his death for three weeks. After the last Gulf war the Government said it would pay the pensions to the partners and their off spring, well at the moment nothing has been done. Now surely the unit should be fighting her corner for her?.
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

it sure should tab, and thanks for showing us your concern about one of our booties, you`ll be getting the paras a bad name mate. should we, as a forum speak up, get intouch with the relevant unit? or keep stum?

if we ever meet Tab, the first ones on me, :drinking:
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

I would hold fire on this one lads until all of the facts come out. I heard from a reliable source in Norway that the situation may not be exactly as that portrayed by the British tabloids.

Aye - Andy. :fadein:
Tab

Post by Tab »

Bootneck forget the Regiments we have one common enemy and that is those penny pinching, mean minded sods that call them selfs civil servants.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

I`ll agree with you on that Tab, but I`m still gonna buy you a wet :drinking: and a Tot of Rum as well, so hope your going to the bash
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

I agree with Andy on this one - hold fire....

Interview and coverage on TV t'other day - The case will be worked on.
Bit more involved than it seems on the surface perhaps.

My sympathy is with the girl and her child - one of ours - right ?
Entitlement to beneficiaries pension etc. is being negociated - I hope.

I also hope that the eventual pension will be a better deal than the men
who serverd during the fifties and sixties did not receive.

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
barryc

Post by barryc »

You and me both Owdun, bit of a b***er trying to get 40 years in after spending your yoof doing your bit for Queen and Country. Still what's new about this country of ours discriminating against `soldiers' (generic term to include us booties) Old Rudyard had it right with Tommy and other poems. We aren't wanted until we are needed and then we are cast aside again while the so and so's who did nothing shoot ahead with their careers and hefty pension. Bas**rds.

Barry
BC
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Andy O'Pray wrote:I would hold fire on this one lads until all of the facts come out. I heard from a reliable source in Norway that the situation may not be exactly as that portrayed by the British tabloids.

Aye - Andy. :fadein:
Now there's a good piece of advice if ever I've read one. Is there any more odious profession than being a tabloid editor/journalist?
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Aye Owdun .... only ten years in my case - then I moved over here -'66.

To top everything off on the right note regarding pensions.....

I lost my mother in May - an eighty seven year old widow...and now an office in Leeds, Department for Work and Pensions, is about to reclaim her pension, which they reckon was overpaid, back to February 2000. Apparently she had 'too much' in her bank account.

A significant amount will be reclaimed. The beneficiaries, her grandchildren, will be the losers...

As a matter of interest to others in the same position I'll come back with info as to what is regarded as an 'adequate' amount that parents are allowed to hold in a bank account - wouldn't want any oppos to end up repaying any part of a pension back to the 'State'...........

Was it not Cherry Blair who was to take up the RM pension case ?
I know, see other thread....

Instances such as this make me realize why I made the '66 move.

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]