Share This Page:

Help wanted with University Project

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Stephen Mounser

Help wanted with University Project

Post by Stephen Mounser »

Hi all,

Firstly i just want to say a massive thank you to everyone in this forum, for all you are doing and have done, including family and friends who support those in service, we are forever grateful.

I am here though to ask for some help regarding my Masters Degree University project. I am working on a project revolving around creating a portable solar wind turbine that harnesses renewable energy to charge electronics for civilion applications, a way to charge phones when out at the park, walking, music festivals and that kind of thing. But part of the project is looking into other applications for the concept, and i started thinking about the long patrols some of you must go on, where you cant simply charge any devices you may have (sat. phones, GPS equipment, cameras etc.)

So i started to wonder how you do get access to electricity to charge such devices whilst on some of the more remote patrols and longer operations when you're not returning to base. I have been made aware that you can sometimes have access to portable generators, solar power stations/packs, but i was wondering if there are any other methods you use to charge devices?

In essence, the idea behind this part of my project is to design a small portable and collapsible wind turbine, that also harnesses solar and hydro energy, that can be easily transported and quickly deployed and disassembled whilst out on operations. It can be mounted onto back-packs and vehicles so it can collect energy whilsy moving, ready to charge equipment when it is needed.

In my mind at the moment, its main use would be in longer duration covert operations, where small squads maybe have to spend days (possibly even a week plus) in operation, without the ability to return to base to charge things.

This may be a bit far fetched and possibly even a useless idea, with no need for it in the field, but that is what i need to find out.

Any responses and thoughts from you would be greatly appreciated, so please just blast thoughts, suggestions, queries etc. as anything helps.

Thank you again

Regards
Stephen Mounser
Rover

Re: Help wanted with University Project

Post by Rover »

Have you looked at what is already around?

http://solarstik.com/markets/defense
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Stephen Mounser

Re: Help wanted with University Project

Post by Stephen Mounser »

Hi Rover,

Thank you for the reply

I have come across similar technology but have not seen this piece of kit before so thank you for making me aware of it, it will make a great research point for my disertation as it is designed specifically for military use.

Is there any other equipment you use that doesn't rely solely on solar energy? I know with the locations for a lot of modern combats, solar is a very use thing to take advantage of, but there other options for when solar can not be harnessed?