Share This Page:

Royal Marines or Para's?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
B Gordon

Re: Royal Marines or Para's?

Post by B Gordon »

Long Time no post, Just a quick update

Got my Para insight course 11-13th Feb. Pirbright (only a few days away).

Cant wait, did get my 1.5 mile run time down to 8.08mins just before christmas, but came down ill and could only get back into training bout 10th Jan, run time now bouncing around the 8.46min time,
14 underarm pull ups, 78 pressups 2mins and just hitting the 60mark for sit ups,

anyone know how long after my PRIC will it be untill i go to ADSC and then PRAC?
philou09

Re: Royal Marines or Para's?

Post by philou09 »

mike.dt wrote: Mon 07 Oct, 2013 5:44 pm As far as I know there's no minimum weight for the Parachute reg. It's really tough deciding which job to go for when you've had little or no experience of them, I know how you feel! Try to gather as much information on what the job actually involves once you're out of training. I'm a firm believer that you can achieve anything you want, so when it comes to training, you'll be fine if you want it enough. Fitness wise you're doing alright, you need to get yourself timed on your runs. Download the 'Runkeeper' app if you have a smart phone, its free and very comprehensive freelance SEO paris. If not a £10 argos digi watch will have a timer on it so pick yourself one of those up. You're pretty much the exact same build as I am and a similar level of fitness if you're running your 1.5 in an average of 9.30-10 mins and banging out those press ups in one hit etc. I believe I wasn't this fit when I first turned up for my basic training and passed it. Just focus on NOT injuring yourself :P.

As a royal marine you might be doing tours in the gulf of aden boarding skiffs and combating piracy. Something you won't do as a para, but you will jump out of an aircraft. They are two completely different roles and serve different purposes. Maybe ask in a recruiting office about an RIC (regimental insight course) for the parachute regiment. I'm not sure they do these for the marines, but there's no harm in asking. either way it will help you to decide.

Hope this helps mate, and good luck whatever you decide!
I advise you to think carefully before making any decision because your future depends on it. Otherwise, for me, it's the Royal Navy.