Share This Page:

Wristbands

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Chappy

Wristbands

Post by Chappy »

Bloody dam wristbands, you know the ones, you see all this 'fashionable' people walking about with a brightly coloured piece of rubber on their wrists.

I wonder how they think people perceive them when they are wearing one.
  • Ohh look they are so cool, fashionable and hip. That's the latest trend you know!
  • Look at them, they seem thoroughly concerned about the plight of racism/cancer/bullying that they donated some money to charity to get one.
  • Look at those idiots, trying to fit in with everyone else, being a sheep.
I like how people are using something that has a genuine statement to push theirselves higher in a society which praises fashionable ideals. When will people end this unnecessary love affair with labels, big brands and profits? Multinational Nike manufactured some to make a fortune and loads of mugs go and buy them, multinationals could sell you the emporor's clothes if they made an advertisement with the lastest super star to be fair (in their defence, ha). If you really want to make a difference just donate the cash to charity and stop creating more rubbish to litter the world! Oh, but you don't care.
What even boils my piss more is that people are selling these on Ebay for £20 to £150, and you can be certain not one penny is going to the charity.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 70464&rd=1
I needed that, better than therapy. :)
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

I thought Nike produced the Yellow band for charity. My understanding was all of the £1 it cost went to charity.

The yellow band was meant to have something to do with Lance Armstrong, as he wore one after he got ocver cancer. He used it to motivate him in training. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
beardo

Post by beardo »

sick to death of them

and you get everyone who does wear them going ''why arent you wearing one?'' , and my usual reply is ''becuase im not a sap thats why''
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

Skiffle wrote:I thought Nike produced the Yellow band for charity. My understanding was all of the £1 it cost went to charity.

The yellow band was meant to have something to do with Lance Armstrong, as he wore one after he got ocver cancer. He used it to motivate him in training. 8)
I think the money goes to the Lance armstrong foundation to support people with cancer. I bought one (not off ebay) afetr someone i know has been diagnosed with cancer.

Their a good idea really as they've probably bought alot of money too charity since they've become so fashionable.

Klink I understand what your saying though about people looking like idiots, my brother wheres 3 on each wrist as do loads of his school friends. anyone who pays 20 quid on one off ebay is a mug.
Only 3% of applicants to the Royal Marines earn the right to wear the green beret.
mercury

Post by mercury »

Does anyone want to buy a charity band off me ? don't be fooled by the fact it looks like an elastic band out of the stationary room, its not honest !

£10 to you mug , I mean mate :P
"certa cito"
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Yeah I agree the Lance Armstrong wristband could be seen as a good idea. Charity and all that, but I don't like how people are bastardising the significance of the wristband into something that is merely a fashion accessory. Call me sceptical but Nike using Lance Armstong to promote the wristband idea then bring out their own..hmm..

I blame Bush ;)
beardo

Post by beardo »

and the irish
lew

Post by lew »

klinkers, if this is the biggest piss off in your life at the moment then I envy you.

If people are buying the official ones because they care about the cause then good for them, and if kids are buying them because its fashionable then so what, if they're buying the Nike ones then the money is still going to the same place. These things are no different than wearing a ribbon, sticker etc from a charity, I wonder how many millions is spent globally on ribbons and stickers? But hey no one ever moans about people wearing them do they, would you kick up a fuss about someone wearing a poppy?

They’ll disappear in time, just like chavs and labour :wink: .

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Doc

Post by Doc »

As a keen cyclist I got one when in Liege watching last years TdF prologue

Lance Armstrong has raised millions for his cancer foundation and raised the profile of ballbag cancer so more research is being done and lads with painful sacks get them checked out sooner rather than later.

My opinion is anyone who thinks they are a waste of time then dont fecking buy one and leave those of us who have to wear them and support a charity. Free world and all that.

And its a dam better thing than watching pop stars or celebs making twats of themselves in the name of PR oops I mean charity.
Artist

Post by Artist »

I thought these wrist bands were from the swimming baths to be honest when I first clocked them.

Imagined that the dozy Herberts had forget to return them when they got the key for their lockers.

Artist
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

Oi you with the yellow band, your time was up 15 minutes ago, its red band time now.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

i'd happily wear my gold bracelet over a piece of rubber anyday, regardless to what it means. its more special to me.
beardo

Post by beardo »

you say there for supporting charity? but people who wear them do it so poeple know they are doing it for charity? why cant they send a tennar quietly, instead of paying one pound for something so that everyone knows theyve done it.....
lew

Post by lew »

beardo wrote:you say there for supporting charity? but people who wear them do it so poeple know they are doing it for charity? why cant they send a tennar quietly, instead of paying one pound for something so that everyone knows theyve done it.....

does it really matter that much? if they want to wear the bloody band then so what, ever heard of freedom of expression? at the end of the day its no different from wearing a ribbon for charity or a poppy.

chill out.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Scottish Thistle

Post by Scottish Thistle »

beardo wrote:you say there for supporting charity? but people who wear them do it so poeple know they are doing it for charity? why cant they send a tennar quietly, instead of paying one pound for something so that everyone knows theyve done it.....
Well how many kids are going to give a tenner to charity? Probably none. So, if they think they look good wearing bands and in the process give a quid to charity then where's the harm? Thats plenty of pounds that otherwise the charity wouldn't have.

Oh, to have a life where the only worry is wristbands :P
Live well - laugh often - love much