Share This Page:

We want you to tell your story...

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

We want you to tell your story...

Post by Beast »

We want you to tell your story…

Here at Military Forums we want to know more about you.
Do you fancy telling your story; it may be about your life in the services past or present or a full account of your training to help others.
We also want to know how the information from other members helped you join, get trained and prepare you for the services.
Do you want to keep an account of your training diary and tell others about your experiences by blogging here at Military Forums when possible?
Are you currently serving and wish to blog to others on current affairs, morale and life as it is in the field etc?
We want to hear from you, so please drop us a line and get in touch.
http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/contact.php and choose the subject ‘Get Involved’.
Many thanks and we hope to hear from you soon!

Note: blogged, blogging, blogs.
To write entries in, add material to, or maintain a weblog. ;)
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Are you spamming, Beast 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Tab

Post by Tab »

Not a lot takers on this thread
Chas

Post by Chas »

Bombs, bullets and bints. Wait one.
Chas. :lol:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

you dont want to get half the old and bold dit spinning!! will be longer than that joke thread :lol:

on the other hand, ive pulled up my sand bag!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

Great story Ken. When I was a boy my uncle took me to Farnborough to see the Canberra for the first time. All I remember she was an all black aeroplane.

I joined the RAF and after basic training at Hemswell, then trade training at St Athan I was posted to Odiham. In 1967 I was posted to RAF Tengah in Singapore which was equiped with English Electric Lightnings, Javelins and Hunters. From there I was posted on detachment to RAF Jurong a small signal station. I went up to Butterworth on detachment and to Penang on leave. I must admit I was glad to leave the Far East to get back to dear old blighty.

I was posted to Wattisham which was also a Lightning station where I was tasked on refuelling.

I still miss the smell of burnt aviation fuel.
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="Tab"]Not a lot takers on this thread[/quote]
Were Shy.
Singaporesignals

Re: We want you to tell your story...

Post by Singaporesignals »

Improperly Dressed

Introduction to service life for me started at Catterick in frozen January 1951
where after several months of Signals training in 7TR and 4TR for teleprinter ops most of us were then posted to Malaya and Singapore for the next 18 months. One of the best
postings at that time.

At Singapore (Pasir Panjang) We were 'under canvass' in a camp surrounded by semi jungle and the occassional Malay small Kampong or village (today completely dissapeared under hi rise council style housing as has most of the Singapore we had known)

We mostly enjoyed our time in that pleasant climate - except for one incident that has always irked me - resulting in my clean service record being besmirched by our pig of a
Regtl Police Sergeant who had me placed on a 252 (charge sheet) for the heinous crime that while off duty had walked to the next tent 'improperly dressed' - (being hatless as had been the accepted normal practice for most of the entire camp in all my time billeted in the
lines.

Now heres the reason why I am telling this tale.
It is of course privilege of rank that often will be seen photos of British officers in WW2
wearing strange apparell including civilian sweaters pullovers cordoys and the likes
- But there is a photo of General Montgomery seen in various books that at first glance appear to portray the good General in a very smart battledress and wearing his famous black beret. But look again folks - Monty is IMPROPERLY DRESSED !
- That superbly cut smart battledress is in fact US Army GI Issue ! Probably a gift from Ike. (Not many people know that - to quote Michael Caine)

Full marks to Monty - and to the superb GI outfits of that era that often
put to shame the British issue - Causing some GIs in London in WW2 to ask "Are British uniforms made from blankets ? I know this may hurt but that particular photo of Monty
is probably one of the smartest of him on record.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now training 50 years ago just can't be compared with todays training, now we wore hobnail boots for just about every thing, now the little darlings wear trainers in case there feet hurt.
You had the sergeant screaming in your ear insults of such a nature it made you smile and where he was stick his thing to f**k some sense into you. You got kicked and punched during training to make you move and lads that could not take were known to commit suicide, and there parents were just told that they died during training, now how is this going to help recruits for todays army.
Reccethump

Post by Reccethump »

Evening all .
Thought i would start here before posting my dribble on other threads!!!..
With out giving to much away ..
Age 41
I joined the regs in 89 and had a couple of years of b***s*** and laughs along the way.
Then i left to join the miserable ranks of society . So got the urge to get back in green kit.
And opted for the T.A. and spent 8 years in there! Reaching the rank of corporal.
Then left to peruse other fun things in life .
If there's out you want to know about me ! Fell free to ask ..

Cheers ..R.T.
shuban

Re:

Post by shuban »

harry hackedoff wrote:Are you spamming, Beast 8)
How it will be spamming? :(
armysurplusandtoys

Post by armysurplusandtoys »

beast how will this work?

I presume each member will have their own blog spot?
never run from a sniper

http://www.armysurplusandtoys.com
magma

Post by magma »

well it's a nice story... indeed..
kgarn

Post by kgarn »

in my day we started work and 14 and I had a job as a spotlight operator at the life theatre, but I found I couldn't stand the late nights and found a standby job as Naval messenger on the Grimsby Naval base HMS beaver. I then got a real job repairing pianos and French polishing at Holder Brothers in Grimsby. By now the war was over and everyone was happy.
Then my turn came up for National Service and was pushed into the Royal Artillery, and worked on 3.7 Ack.Ack, we also were bunked into work we didn't want on Bristol docks when the dock strike was on. Everything calmed down and I signed on in the Royal Air Force and after training, I was an Air Electrician working on Avro Lincolns at RAF Binbrook.
We had a sojourn in Malaya for six months the air crew dropped thousand pounders on the terrorists. All went well and thankfully we arrived back home unharmed. A few more years later I was duly demobbed and returned to civvy street. I started work with British Titans a chemical factory where you arrived home each day in a choice of three colours, black, yellow or white depending were you were working. I could only stand British Titans for 3 years and started work with Cherry Valley farms as one of their electricians. In due course I was electrical supervisor I left them in 2000 to move to Leeds. Then I took up a job with an electrical firm as the mail electrician which only lasted for 18 months as the firm went bust.
My wife said I should retire and I took her advice and have enjoyed my retirement caravaning and breeding Miniature Poodles. At present still happily married and enjoying life as an oldie
Mac10

Post by Mac10 »

Tab wrote:Now training 50 years ago just can't be compared with todays training, now we wore hobnail boots for just about every thing, now the little darlings wear trainers in case there feet hurt.
You had the sergeant screaming in your ear insults of such a nature it made you smile and where he was stick his thing to f**k some sense into you. You got kicked and punched during training to make you move and lads that could not take were known to commit suicide, and there parents were just told that they died during training, now how is this going to help recruits for todays army.